SE ASIA - DAY 27 - LUANG PRABANG to MUANG XAI

I changed my route to MUANG XAI instead of LUANG NAMTHA this morning for two reasons,

1) So that I can have ample time to go explore BOTEN China border tomorrow morning and then head on to  LUANG NAMTHA without having to go back through the same route again.

2) I am having a diarrhea that I don't think I can last the 7 hours of riding all the way to LUANG NAMTHA


The diarrhea started when I had this noodle soup yesterday morning after watching the alms giving ceremony. Its a harmless looking bowl of noodles with side garnish of lettuce, bean sprouts and basil leaves. Among the noodles are some slices of pork and tofu.


Then hours later, the diarrhea started, I even skipped lunch due to that. Had a simple fried rice for dinner but the diarrhea persisted few more times throughout the night. Managed to calm things down a little by taking four vials of the "Po Zhai Pills" that I brought along.

Of course, before I set out, I "tabao" a toilet roll from the hotel just in case I need a toilet break in the mountains.I arrived at Muang Xai sometime during noon, after 4 hours of riding. The road was pretty good as they have put in good effort patching the pot-holes , but cutting through the endless number of mountains and villages were just slowing things down.


Muang Xai is all about exploring the ethnic minorities. I don't really see much tourist as well as Tuk Tuk taxis. You know you are in the tourist area when every 10 steps you walk, a Tuk Tuk driver will ask you "Tuk Tuk ?" .

Interesting facts about riding motorcycle in Laos,



1) The legal age of riding a motorcycle in LAOs is 15. However, you get to see really young school students riding them to school. It's still a myth if they need a licence to ride one.
2) It is legal to have 2 pillion riders at the back of a motorcycle, out of which one of them should be below 11 years of age.
3) The traffic rules require wearing of helmet, but it is hardly followed.

Muang Xai is like half-Chinese, half-Laos.
You get to see lots of hotels, eateries and supermarket catered for the Chinese people.



Then I remembered that I have finished all of the Po Zhai Pills that I have brought along. What if it continues ? So I went to a pharmacy and asked for some diarrhea medicine. Of course, not speaking Lao, I have to show gesture of diarrhea to the old lady. Then she took out two blister pill pack and tell me to take twice a day, two each time. It cost 10k KIPs (SGD1.50) .


Then I walked along and thought about did she really understand what I was trying to tell her. What if she misunderstood and thought I want something to help with constipation problem ? 😱

So I searched the medicine name and got some assurance, Google saved the day.

Last thing I want right then was consuming unhygienic food for a sequel to the diarrhea.
So I found this fried chicken fast food restaurant that I had in Luang Prabang. It was a fast food chain and they were suppose to have process about preparing food better than a typical hawker.


Had Century Egg porridge and a Pepsi for a change.

Day 28 - Muang Xai to Boten then to Luang Namtha

Comments

Popular Posts